Along with Double Dip, this lifeline could only be used by contestants if they correctly answer the tenth question, worth $100,000. When a contestant decides to use this lifeline, the host will read and feed the question to a panel of three experts, and they will have 30 seconds to confer and figure out the answer to the question. The clock's graphics are the same as the Phone-a-Friend's but smaller.
One of the three experts would be a past Millionaire contestant and another would be a female. A different panel would appear on each episode, but their identities would not be revealed until a contestant correctly answers their $100,000 question. If that does not happen before they are almost out of time, their identities are revealed then.
The lifeline's graphic is a mortarboard, to indicate the intelligence of the experts.
The chart below lists people who have appeared for the "Three Wise Men" lifeline.
|Date||Name||Contestants they helped||Notes|
|February 22, 2004||Nancy Christy123
Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson
|February 23, 2004||Dr. Abby Salny2
Dr. Drew Pinsky
|February 24, 2004||David Goodman1
Tracy Caldwell Dyson2
|N/A||They were the first "Three Wise Men" to not help a contestant.|
|February 26, 2004||Kevin Olmstead1
Dr. Curley Bonds
|Michael Koehn||They were the first "Three Wise Men" to not be revealed after a contestant incorrectly answers their $100,000 question as well as the first to get a question wrong.|
|February 27, 2004||Erin Barrett2
|N/A||They were the second "Three Wise Men" to not help a contestant.|
|May 16, 2004||Belinda Luscombe2
Dr. Jim Gates
|May 17, 2004||Dr. Anita Krishnamurthi2
|N/A||They were the third "Three Wise Men" to not help a contestant.|
|May 18, 2004||Jenny Elesnu2
Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson
|May 20, 2004||Pat Thompson123
Dr. Glen Ferrart
|May 23, 2004||Dr. Anna Fisher2
|May 25, 2004||Lori Meduski2
Dr. Tyra Spiegel2
|N/A||They were the fourth "Three Wise Men" to not help a contestant.|
|May 26, 2004||Nancy Christy123
1Past Millionaire contestant | 2Female | 3Past female Millionaire contestant
- In the 500th episode of the German version this lifeline was also available to all contestants. Only the difference is that in a special room there were 4 instead of 3 experts.
- The lifeline was also used on the Russian version of the show, from October 14, 2006 through April 8, 2008. With the full guest list below:
- October 21, 2006 - Yelena Malysheva, Gennady Vdovin, Larisa Rubalskaya
- October 28, 2006 - Tatyana Metaksa, Viktor Gusev, Pavel Kaplevich
- November 11, 2006 - Thecla Tolstaya, Boris Khimichev, Gennady Gudkov
- December 2, 2006 - Yevgeny Lovchev, Pyotr Tolstoy, Grigory Gladkov
- December 9, 2006 - Oksana Pushkina, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, Anatoly Trushkin
- January 20, 2007 - Alexander Sedov, Yekaterina Andreyeva, Anatoly Kucherena
- January 27, 2007 - Pavel Globa, Margarita Eskina, Boris Grachevsky
- February 3, 2007 - Nikita Kucheruk, Olga Sviblova, Alexander Inshakov
- February 10, 2007 - Arkady Inin, Mariya Kiseleva (for unknown reasons, there were only 2 Wise Men)
- March 3, 2007 - Tatyana Ustinova, Vladimir Dashkevich, Viktor Verzhbitsky
- March 17, 2007 - Arina Sharapova, Maksim Dunayevsky, Georgy Grechko
- March 24, 2007 - Simon Osiashvili, Arkady Arkanov, Alexey Mitrofanov
- April 7, 2007 - Yury Vyazemsky, Yelena Zelenskaya, Sergey Lukyanenko
- June 17, 2007 - Yefim Smolin, Mariya Arbatova, Alexander Zhurbin
- July 1, 2007 - Vsevolod Shilovsky, Aristarkh Livanov, Vladimir Vishnevsky
- July 8, 2007 - Vadim Andreyev, Yekaterina Semenova, Andrey Smolyakov
- July 14, 2007 - Yekaterina Rozhdestvenskaya, Alexander Peskov, Valentina Dashkova
- November 11, 2007 - Polina Dashkova, Dmitry Koldun, Svetlana Masterkova
- November 18, 2007 - Alexander Shaganov, Svetlana Nazarenko, Leonid Olshansky
- March 15, 2008 - Boris Burda, Yelena Orlova, Ilya Novikov
- March 29, 2008 - Askold Zapashny, Boris Burda, Ilya Novikov
- April 19, 2008 - Boris Krasnov, Grigory Oster, Vyacheslav Spesivtsev
- April 26, 2008 - Irina Otiyeva, Arkady Ukupnik, Yelena Nazarova
- In Arabic version, this lifeline was used in the 2015-2016 season.
- In Hong Kong version, the lifeline was used for two specials in March 2018.
- In India Hindi version, three experts sat on the audience rows of the show's studio instead of special room
- In the Croatian version, the "Three Wise Men" lifeline replaced the "Ask the Audience" lifeline on May 14. 2020. due to social distancing measures in place because of the Coronavirus pandemic. Like the India Hindi version, the experts were seated in the audience seats behind the contestant. The lifeline does not have a time limit, similar to Ask the Expert.
- In 2000, the Hungarian version had the first modified version of the "Three Wise Men", called as "Ask the other contestants 2 times". 8 years later, on the Norwegian version, this lifeline was renamed as "Ask the Star". On 2020, in the German version, this lifeline was renamed once again as "Ask the Millionaires". This lifeline was very similar to "Three Wise Men", except only two experts (celebrities) instead of three, and it had 60 seconds to use.
- In 2008, the second modified version of the "Three Wise Men" lifeline, called "Ask the Expert," was introduced for the Clock Format. This lifeline had only one expert, and there is no time limit to use.
- Since May 5, 2020, the third modified version of the "Three Wise Men" lifeline, called "Ask two Experts", was introduced for the 11th season of Ai Là Triệu Phú. This lifeline was very similar to the Ask the Star lifeline, with only two experts in a special room, and this lifeline had only 30 seconds to use.
|Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? lifelines|
|50:50 • Phone-a-Friend • Ask the Audience • Switch the Question • Ask the Expert • Double Dip • Three Wise Men • Extra Help • Jump the Question • Plus One • Crystal Ball • Cut the Question • Power Paplu • Code Red • Chat Room • People Speak • Ask the Host • Ask the Star • Three of the Audience • Ask Two Experts|
|Millionaire Hot Seat: Pass • 50:50 • Switch the Question • Ask A Friend|