Diana Ingram, the wife of Charles Ingram, from Wiltshire, who was accused of cheating in the UK version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" in September, 2001. Diana was a contestant on the show herself on 9 April, 2001, winning £32,000 after answering her £64,000 question wrong. She originally appeared on Couples Millionaire with Charles Ingram on 24 March, 2001, but they didn't make into the hot seat.
After the scandal, Diana retreated from the public entirely, and became a seller of jewellery at her husband's stall and online. Like her husband, Diana claims to not have cheated to this day, and is assisting Charles in their appeal.
Diana met Charles Ingram while she was training to be a teacher at Barry College in Wales. The two became engaged during his first posting with the Royal Engineers in Germany. They married in November 1989 and have three children.
Fastest Finger First
|Fastest Finger First Question|
|Starting with the fewest, put these national flags in order of the number of stars on each?|
|• A: China||• B: USA|
|• C: Israel||• D: New Zealand|
Out of the remaining 9 contestants, Diana was the only one who answered C-D-A-B (in a time of 5.38 seconds), making it into the Hot Seat.
Diana's Run to the Million
|£100 (1 of 15) - Not Timed|
|Which of these names is most associated with a monster?|
|• A: Frank Bough||• B: Frank Butcher|
|• C: Frankenstein||• D: Frank Carson|
|£200 (2 of 15) - Not Timed|
|If someone is described as 'peckish', they are slightly what?|
|• A: In pain||• B: Cold|
|• C: Tired||• D: Hungry|
|£300 (3 of 15) - Not Timed|
|Which of these is a TV comedy starring Dawn French?|
|• A: The Barmaid of Dibley||• B: The Teacher of Dibley|
|• C: The Vet of Dibley||• D: The Vicar of Dibley|
|£500 (4 of 15) - Not Timed|
|Which phrase refers to a tournament in which two competitors play against each other?|
|• A: Round robert||• B: Round robin|
|• C: Round richard||• D: Round rupert|
|£1,000 (5 of 15) - Not Timed|
|Which profession is commonly abbreviated as 'PR'?|
|• A: Puppy rearing||• B: Proof-reading|
|• C: Pigeon racing||• D: Public relations|
|£2,000 (6 of 15) - Not Timed|
|What name did the Romans give to London?|
|• A: Londus||• B: Londinium|
|• C: Londo||• D: Lundi|
|£4,000 (7 of 15) - Not Timed|
|In which of these films did Gene Hackman appear as villain Lex Luthor?|
|• A: Flash Gordon||• B: Batman|
|• C: Spiderman||• D: Superman|
|£8,000 (8 of 15) - Not Timed|
|Which of these is not a genuine region of Australia? |
'Ask the Audience' lifeline used
|• A: Northern Territory||• B: South Australia|
|• C: Western Australia||• D: Eastern Territory|
|Ask the Audience Results: A: 2% • B: 5% • C: 2% • D: 91%|
|£16,000 (9 of 15) - Not Timed|
|With whom did Dolly Parton sing a duet on the chart hit 'Islands in the Streams'? |
'Phone-a-Friend' lifeline used
|• A: Garth Brooks||• B: Kenny Rogers|
|• C: Vince Gill||• D: James Ingram|
|Diana phoned her friend Russell, who said the answer was indeed Kenny Rogers.|
|£32,000 (10 of 15) - Not Timed|
|Which of these is a type of shark?|
|• A: Matron||• B: Doctor|
|• C: Nurse||• D: Surgeon|
|£64,000 (11 of 15) - Not Timed|
|Who wrote the nonsense poem, 'The Hunting of the Snark'?|
|• A: G.K. Chesterton||• B: Hilaire Belloc|
|• C: Edward Lear||• D: Lewis Carroll|
|Diana thought it was C: Edward Lear since the beginning, but she also thought that Lewis Carroll might have also written the poem. She decided to go with her first instinct and say Edward Lear as her final answer, however this was incorrect so she left with £32,000. The correct answer was D: Lewis Carroll.
Total Prize Money: £32,000
During Charles Ingram's second night on the show, Diana Ingram was shown looking towards Tecwen Whittock on numerous occasions. She also coughed to give away one of the answers.
As Charles was getting closer to the million, Diana was shown to get more and more frustrated and stressed (possibly thinking he wouldn't go as far as he did). When Charles said he'd go for the million pound question, Diana put her hands on her face, knowing that they'll most likely be found out.
After Charles won the million, Chris Tarrant got Diana on stage. She pretended to be shocked at Charles winning the million. They were later heard shouting in their room, something which surprised the team as normally a couple would celebrate winning the million. The conflict reportedly contained Charles saying he "didn't think" he'd get as far as he did.
Once the show was over, the Millionaire team suspected the Ingrams had cheated and thus Charles did not receive the money. Diana, along with Charles and Tecwen, was found guilty. Diana claimed she had not only never met Tecwen but didn't even know what he looked like; however, throughout the night, she was constantly looking in his direction.
When Diana took the stand, she stated that she believed that Charles had succeeded by his risk-taking strategy. She also denied claims by the prosecution about using pagers and plotting with Whittock to cough at the right answers. She said that the pager records were from her brother's pager; she claimed that he had "disappeared" owing to issues with banks and was using his pager to keep in contact with her. Diana's brother, Adrian Pollock, did attend the first day of recording, where he was seen using his mobile phone outside the studio three times and was told to stop by production crew.
After the scandal
Following the court case, the Ingrams would be constantly coughed at by members of the public and Charles gained the nickname of "The Coughing Major". They were also subject to a campaign of harassment which involved people vandalising their car and their cat being shot with an air gun. The Army Board requested that Charles resign his commission, which he did. Whittock resigned from his lecturer's job at Pontypridd College and trademarked his name to prevent a company from naming a cough medicine after him. The trademark subsequently expired in 2013 and was declared "dead" in 2014 after not being renewed. Following the judgement, ITV broadcast two documentaries about the case titled Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?: Major Fraud and Who Wants to Steal a Million?.
Years after the court case, a number of journalists have cast doubt on the original verdict citing the inconsistency of the coughs and Tarrant's testimony that he had heard no coughing. In 2015 a book titled Bad Show: The Quiz, the Cough, the Millionaire Major was published claiming there was unseen evidence that proved that the three defendants were innocent. In 2017, a play titled Quiz was released about the case, which was later adapted into a three-part series on ITV in 2020. Once the scandal was over, Diana retreated from the public completely. She assisted Charles on his stall in 2016, and created her own website where she sells jewellery.
The Ingrams have featured on numerous television shows in the UK and overseas including:
- Have I Been Here Before? Series 2 – Summer 06 TBC – ITV1;
- Big Brother's Big Mouth with Russell Brand - 7 Jul 06 - E4, Sky 140;
- The Good Day Show with Tracy Falkes - 13 Jun 06 - Legal TV, Sky 885;
- Celebrity Weakest Link Couples Special - 14 Jan 06 - BBC1;
- Heads Up With Richard Herring – 10 Nov 05 – Poker Zone, Sky 226;
- Hell's Kitchen - 23 Apr 05 - ITV1 & ITV2;
- The Games - 2 Apr 05 - Channel 4;
- Friday Night Project - 23 Feb 05 - Channel 4;
- The Vera Show - 8 Sep 04 - Austria ORF2;
- Hell's Kitchen - 30 May 04 - ITV1;
- Jack Dee Live At The Apollo - 26 May 04 - BBC1;
- Fear Factor - 8 to 14 May 04 - Sky One, Sky 106 (Winner);
- The Games - 9 Jan-18 Apr - Channel 4 & E4;
- Celebrity Poker Club - 18 to 19 Mar 04 - Challenge TV Sky 121;
- This Morning, Regression - 25 Feb 04 - ITV1;
- 100 Greatest TV Moments - 31 Dec 03 - Channel 4 & E4;
- Real Story with Fiona Bruce - 24 Nov 03 - BBC1 & BBC3;
- TV Cheats - 22 Nov 03 - ITV1;
- GMTV Today - 12 Nov 03 - GMTV;
- Celebrity Wife Swap - 11 to 16 Nov 03 - Channel 4;
- Richard and Judy - 11 Nov 03 - Channel 4;
- This Morning (TV Quick Awards) - 9 Sep 03 - ITV1;
- This Morning - 20 Aug 03 - ITV1;
- Yes/No Quiz Show - 13 Aug 03 - Bravo TV, Sky 124;
- This Morning - 5 Aug 03 - ITV1;
- 19 Keys quiz show - 29 Jun 03 - Channel 5;
- This Morning - 26 Jun 03 - ITV1;
- Tonight with Jonathan Ross - 13 Jun 03 - BBC1;
- Tonight with Trevor McDonald Part 2 - 9 May 03 - ITV1;
- Nationwide USA - 2 Hour Special - 8 May 03 - ABC;
- Hard Talk - 23 Apr 03 - BBC News 24 & BBC World;
- This Morning - 23 Apr 03 - ITV1;
- Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Programme Special - 21 Apr 03 - ITV2;
- Tonight with Trevor McDonald Part 1 - 21 Apr 03 - ITV1;
- The John Daley Show - 18 Apr 03 - BBC Northern Ireland;
- GMTV Today - 15 Apr 03 - GMTV.
- In the ITV drama Quiz, British actress Sian Clifford played as her.